A street in Mexico City
July 15, 2010 Our internet was down for a week due to a heavy rain storm. We were quite bummed by it but glad it is up now. We had to say goodbye to some missionary couples who went home. Just this month half of the couple have gone. They set us a good example and taught us a lot. Our neighbors, Dave and Bonnie Shurtz, are gone and we feel alone. Having been a temple president in the Detroit Temple, they knew temple policy and were a big help to this temple presidency. He was extremely fluent in Spanish so he did lots of translating. There is only one other English speaking couple left in our unit. He is good at spanish and she knows enough to get by. That leaves us as the only ones in the dark as far as knowing what is being said. We can pick out the subject but the details pass us by. I went to a street market today with some of the Mexican senior sister missionaries. I needed a skirt or two. Each vender has his specialty of products. The street is closed and filled with vendors. They put up a tarp and throw out their wares on the street or a table. You have to search through piles of clothes. The other ladies searched for me. I got about 10 clothing items for $16.00. I wanted some embroidered things so I can look like a Mexican. I found some really cute ones. They have to be laundered so I don’t have a picture of me in them yet. It is interesting that the Mexicans try to look like Americans and the Americans try to look like the Mexicans. I have found a fun way to make a Mexican lei out of ribbon. I get compliments every time I wear it. I have the stuff to make another one that I am excited about. Another missionary has a specialty of make flower broches out of artificial flowers. She always wears one. She gave me one.
No comments:
Post a Comment